Friday, October 2, 2009

Utterly Absurd!



Do you remember when your family bought a new appliance? The delivery guys would bring it and we would get the best part, the box! One time we were really lucky and we got two huge boxes, a washer and dryer! We would make forts out of them and play with them until they fell apart.
I bring that up for a reason. There has been something that I have been mulling over and pondering since the summer. It is this commonly spoken expression of “God in a box” or “that church has God in a box.” I even said it about me and I am sure about my church. But lately, when I hear that phrase it really brings me to my knees.
Our beautiful, holy, vast God is uncontainable. He is the one who created the heavens and earth, the entire universe. Our God, who is three persons; Father, Son and Holy Spirit, who chose to create us in His image and give us breath from His breath. That God, contained in a box, even a refrigerator size box??? Utterly Absurd!!!
John Paul Jackson writes in his book, 7 Days Behind the Veil; “…we can have boundaries with God. He is not upset or angry if we cannot let Him any closer than our ten-foot-thick wall. He is okay with waiting. He is willing to wait for as long as it takes in order to capture our heart.”
Which bring me back to the appliance boxes that I believe we live in when it comes to God. We have our thoughts, our teachings and our comfortable places all in the box with us. But our beautiful, loving God is peering in the cracks and crevices looking for just that opportunity to capture another piece of our hearts. He lures us out with His presences and then surprises us with each little plan His has for us, each little answered prayer He presents to us.
And as we peek out the lid or even risk it all and step out of our box, He is there to meet with open arms and much to share with us. If we seek Him, we will find Him, when we seek Him with all our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment